Shavlik vCenter Protect Essentials Plus
Provide rich-targeting and system grouping by Active Directory, organizational unit, domain name, IP addresses, IP ranges and hostnames
Identify, report and remove out-of-policy applications to keep computers compliant with established corporate standards
Provides patch XML the same day they are released by Microsoft so you can respond quickly to active vulnerabilities
Flexible reporting features offer high-level summary reports and detailed reports of a specific machine or group of machines that can be automatically emailed to administrators, end-users and executives
Secure frequently disconnected devices with a highly flexible and scaleable architecture that blends agentless and agent-based solutions
First solution to assess and remediate patch levels of physical servers, online virtual machines and offline virtual machines - in VMware and Microsoft virtual environments.
Management Console System Requirements:
- Processor: Minimum: Pentium 4; Recommended: 2.0 GHz CPU (multi-processor machine if more than 1000 seat license)
- Memory: Minimum: 1 GB of RAM; Recommended: 2 GB of RAM (4 GB if more than 1000 seat license)
- Video: 1024 x 768 screen resolution or higher (1280 x 1024 recommended)
- Disk Space: 100 MB for application, 2 GB or more for patch repository
- Operating System (one of the following): Minimum: Windows XP: Professional, SP3 or later (SP2 or later if using 64-bit version), Windows Vista, SP1 or later, Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate Edition, and Windows Server 2003 Family, SP2 or later; Recommended: Windows 7: Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate Edition, Windows Server 2008: Family, excluding Server Core, and Windows Server 2008 Family R2, excluding Server Core
- Database: Use of a SQL Server database (SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, SQL Server 2008, or SQL Server 2008 Express Edition) is required. If you do not have a SQL Server database, the option to install SQL Server 2008 Express Edition will be provided during the prerequisite software installation process.
- Prerequisite Software: (Installed automatically) MSXML 6.0 SP2 Hotfix (only required on console machines using Windows Vista SP1 or earlier), Windows Installer 4.5 or later (only required if installing SQL Express 2008 during NetChk Protect installation), Use of Microsoft SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, SQL Server 2008, or SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition, SQL Native Client or SQL 2008 Native Client, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 or later
- Configuration Requirements: When performing an asset scan of the console machine, Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service must be enabled and the protocol allowed to the machine. In Windows Firewall, on Windows XP/Windows 2003 machines the service is called Remote Administration, and on Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 machines the service is called Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)/Remote Administration.
Support Clients System Requirements:
- Browser: Internet Explorer 5.5 or later required to receive patch deployments
- Operating Systems (any of the following): Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows 2000 Datacenter Server, Windows 2000 Small Business Server, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, Windows XP Embedded, Windows Server 2003: Enterprise Edition, Windows Server 2003: Standard Edition, Windows Server 2003: Web Edition, Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server, Windows Server 2003: Datacenter Edition, Windows Vista: Home Basic Edition, Windows Vista: Home Premium Edition, Windows Vista: Business Edition, Windows Vista: Enterprise Edition, Windows Vista: Ultimate Edition, Windows 7: Home Premium Edition, Windows 7: Professional Edition, Windows 7: Enterprise Edition, Windows 7: Ultimate Edition , Windows Server 2008: Standard, Windows Server 2008: Enterprise, Windows Server 2008: Datacenter, Windows Server 2008: Standard - Core, Windows Server 2008: Enterprise - Core, Windows Server 2008: Datacenter - Core, Windows Server 2008 R2: Standard, Windows Server 2008 R2: Enterprise, Windows Server 2008 R2: Datacenter, Windows Server 2008 R2: Standard - Core, Windows Server 2008 R2: Enterprise - Core, Windows Server 2008 R2: Datacenter - Core
Q: What are the new features in the spyware management solution in version 6.5?
A: The Active Protection feature for spyware has been updated so the AP managed systems can automatically update themselves with the latest spyware scanning and remediation XML files. Also, the spyware scanning and remediation results are included in the data that is aggregated from the remote consoles and sent to the master console for reporting purposes.
Q: Do I have to uninstall my current version of the product to upgrade to NetChk Protect 6.5?
A: If you are currently running Shavlik version 5 or 6.0, you can install version 6.5 on top of your existing installation. All prior scan and remediation data and configuration items will be migrated to the 6.5 installation. If you are running version 4.3, you will need to manually uninstall version 4.3 and then install version 6.0.
Q: I have multiple locations that I need to manage, can NetChk Protect meet this need?
A: The short answer is yes. NetChk Protect can scale across remote locations and WAN links using distributed scanning and remediation consoles. The remote consoles are similar to the central console, however all of the scan and deployment results are encrypted and sent to the central console for reporting and patch policy can be distributed from the central console to each of the remote consoles. This allows remote sites to be managed with a local console, preserving network bandwidth and can allow the remote site to be managed either centrally via policy and/or remotely via a local patch admin.
Q: Why are agents now being offered with the product when the solution has always been agentless?
A: For systems that are frequently disconnected from the network, such as laptops, the Shavlik agent provides administrators with a secure and scalable solution to manage all of your Windows systems. Shavlik does recommend the agentless technology for managing most of the newtwork, saving the need to install and manage agents on each of your systems.
Q: Does Shavlik patch non Microsoft applications?
A: Yes, NetChk Protect 6.5 platform enables Shavlik to deliver support for non Microsoft products without requiring any updates to the console or code. Shavlik can quickly add support for scanning and deploying patches to products that weren't prviously supported under earlier versions of the product. see the Total Coverage PDF above for exactly which ones it covers
Q: Does it scan and patch old Microsoft Operating Systems that Microsoft no longer supports?
A: Yes it does. Refer to the Total Coverage PDF on the product description page.
Q: Can you run both agent and agentless for the Shavlik product?
Q: Does Shavlik have a patch rollback feature?
Q: Where is Shavlik's User Forum?